Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Thanksgiving Memories

I have so many thanksgiving memories that I don't know where to begin. I can remember as a young child (about 6 or 7 yrs old) that the men (my dad, cousins, uncles and pepere) would go hunting in the early morning until about noon time. I would help my mom prepare stuff in the kitchen (put cranberry sauce in bowl, mix and stuff celery with relish and cream cheese). When I wasn't doing that, I was sitting out front of the tv watching "Macy's Parade" and making beaded necklaces and bracelets. I can remember when the first helium flying balloon was in the parade. I think it was "Bullwinkle" in which they still have it today. Then would come the football games. I didn't care who would win as I just liked watching the game. The men would return from hunting and we would eat around 2 p.m. in the afternoon. Our meal usually included boiled onions, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, turnip, carrots, gravy, stuffed celery, pork stuffing (that wasn't stuffed in the bird), and of course the turkey. My most favorite part was the crispy turkey skin. My brother and I always faught for it even though it wasn't good for you. The worst part about the day was doing all the dishes (mostly the pots and pans). It just seemed like I'd be washing them forever. The most important part of the day was the family being together and all the memories that were created!!!!

No comments: